Gift giving made easy
No matter the time of year, you’re always hunting for the perfect gifts for everyone on your list—birthday gifts, thank you gifts, graduation gifts… And while we all love any excuse to celebrate, sometimes it can be a challenge to think of just the right thing for each person.
That’s where we come in!
We’ve rounded up ideas for everyone on your list. Your college-town friends and collegiate colleagues? Check! They’ll appreciate getting to relive favorite memories and wear their heart on their sleeve (and beyond) as they sport Zingerman’s swag. The little ones in your life? Check! They’ll be smitten with sweet treats. Conscientious students and young professionals? Check! They’ll appreciate that you shopped local as they enjoy their morning brew in an eco-friendly, reusable to-go mug. Foodies? Check! They’ll be blown away with a cookbook paired with specialty ingredients.
Read on for 21 of our favorite giftable items, including some of our Deli-exclusives and some of our top picks from our partner businesses, too. What are you waiting for? Let’s get shopping!
Gifts for Kids (& Kids At Heart)
- Brownie 4-Packs Magic Brownies have been a part of the Zingerman’s experience since the mid-1980s. They’re sure to cast a chocolate spell on anyone who tries them, and we’ve yet to meet a kid who didn’t love Bakehouse brownies. Choose the original, walnut-studded Magic Brownies, nut-free Black Magic Brownies, or the Brownie Party, with 4 different flavors in one pack.
- Candy Zingerman’s Candy Company makes handmade, small batch treats, like classic Peanut Brittle and old-fashioned candy bars, like the original Zzang! bar with homemade honey nougat, muscovado brown sugar caramel, big Virginia peanuts, and dark Colombian chocolate.
- Sundae Supplies Pair a pint of gelato from Zingerman’s Creamery made from local Calder Dairy milk and organic Demerara brown sugar with a decadent topping, like caramel sauce or hot fudge, and get ready for an over-the-top enthusiastic response.
- Pickles They’re an essential part of the sandwich experience here at the Deli, but did you know that you can nosh on our pickles at home?! Choose a jar of old pickles (traditional, garlic-cured) or new pickles (cruncy, cucumbery)—or both! (And maybe make a subtle comment about their behavior when they were younger at the same time…)
- Graham Crackers (one of Deli Managing Partner Grace’s favorites!) A sophisticated take on an American childhood favorite from Zingerman’s Bakehouse. These crisp, flavorful cookies are more addictive than what we munched on as kids, thanks to great ingredients, like freshly milled, Michigan-grown soft white wheat, local honey, and ginger.
- Ann Arbor Gold Mustard Our Michigan-made honey mustard with a kick. It’s thick and creamy, so while it’s delicious spread on a sandwich (try it with turkey or a grilled cheese), our mustard can also hold its own as a dip for pretzels or veggies.
- Cookbooks We carry a collection of some of our favorite cookbooks from restaurant cookbooks, like State Bird Provisions, to single-topic cookbooks, like The Magic of Tinned Fish (have we mentioned how much we love tinned fish?!). We also have cookbooklets from Zingerman’s Bakehouse, like Breezy Breakfasts and Fancy Schmancy Holiday Cookies (cookies are not required to be limited to the holiday season, of course!).
Gifts for Parental Figures
- Artisan Breads Zingerman’s Bakehouse also makes a wide range of hearth-baked breads, from classics like Jewish Rye and Challah to seasonal specials like Cranberry Pecan, a naturally-leavened loaf loaded with toasty pecans and dried New England cranberries.
- Iced Tea Blends Our most popular tea is our collection of iced tea blends. They’re delicious, affordable (as Ari says, “Tea is one of the most affordable luxuries.”), and satisfy no matter the season.
- Gift Bundles & Cooking Kits We’ve already thought about what works well together, so you can go ahead and take all the credit for gifting a thoughtfully composed bundle for them to enjoy a deluxe breakfast, fondue night, perfect pizza, extra-special happy hour, and more.
- Omnom Chocolate Bars There’s a lot to love about this award-winning, small batch, bean-to-bar chocolate from Reykjavik, Iceland. They use high-quality ingredients, all individually sourced with care, placing ethics, sustainability, and transparency at the heart of the process and their eye-catching packaging means you won’t even need to wrap them. We also have our very own Chocolate Specialist (covetable career alert!) who would be happy to help you sort through our evolving selection of over 100 chocolate bars to help you find the perfect one.
- Tastings & Events Most of our current events are virtual, so they can be enjoyed from the comfort of a couch, and many have optional tasting kits to take the experience over the top. If you’d like to make it a big family affair, private events are an option, let us know you’re interested, and we’ll get back to you.
Friends & Coworker Gifts
- Next Door Café Signature Coffee Blend Zingerman’s Coffee Company roasts single estate, small batch coffees, and they created a special medium roast blend just for us! This blend boasts small lot beans from Sumatra, Costa Rica, and Papua New Guinea and features rich flavors of dark chocolate caramel.
- Nuts We source the best fresh nuts we can find, so whether used in sweet or savory recipes, they lend a certain texture and flavor that’s hard to replicate. (Same goes for snacking right out of the bag!) Choose from Toasted Piedmont Hazelnuts, Italian Pine Nuts, Livermore Red Walnuts, Virginia Butter-Toasted Peanuts, or South Georgia Pecans. (During the holiday season, keep your eye out for our housemade spiced pecans!)
- Zingerman’s Olive Oil & Balsamic Vinegars Take their salads up a notch with a perfect pairing of olive oil and vinegar. Our olive oil is made by Marina Colonna on her ancient estate in Italy’s Molise region, a little over 100 miles due east of Rome. Made from hand-picked Peranzana olives pressed the same day they’re taken from the tree, this extra virgin olive oil is hugely flavorful. We carry five of our own exclusive balsamics, from our best buy 6-Year to our most mature, 20-Year aged bottle (with 8-Year, 10-Year, and 16-Year in between). All of them are made in the traditional way, aged for years in wooden barrels in Modena and Reggio-Emilia in Italy, making them well-balanced and worlds above basic balsamics. (A pairing of an olive oil and a balsamic vinegar makes for a fabulous host/hostess gift!)
- Ari’s Books & Pamphlets From his Guide to Good Leading book series to his pamphlet series, including the timely Working Through Hard Times: Life and Leadership Learnings from 2020, Zingerman’s co-founder Ari Weinzweigshares his own learnings and weaves them together with the insights of business leaders, anarchist authors, artists, poets, philosophers, and historians
Zingerman’s Superfan Gifts
- Aprons Get ready to cook in style (and comfort, thanks to an adjustable neck strap)! Our 100% cotton aprons feature the iconic Deli logo and campus skyline—they’re designed by our own in-house artists and printed by our favorite local printer!
- T-Shirts Rep your favorite college town deli with a block-lettered Maize & Blue Zingerman’s T-shirt! (Of course, if their school spirit swings in a different direction, we have other t-shirts too! Stop by the Next Door Café to browse our display or email [email protected] to ask about our current selection.)
- Bags & Totes Our Yellow Canvas Shopping Bag is a perfect replica of our iconic yellow bag, but totally reusable! This locally-printed and sewn bag is great for carrying groceries, loading with presents (in lieu of a gift basket), or using as a gift bag. We also carry two sizes of insulated totes, and whether you choose a small size for lunches, or a larger one just right for picnics, trips to the beach, and weekend getaways, they’ll think of you every time they zip them up.
- Coffee and Travel Mugs Zingerman’s Keep Cups come in two different sizes and multiple colors. The splashproof, press-fit lid allows room means you enjoy optimal liquid flow and aroma release, but no surprise splatters. Or choose one of our logo ceramic mugs, perfectly paired with a bag of coffee or tin of hot cocoa.
Still can’t decide?
Tuck a gift card in a to-go cup and let them choose something special for themselves. Or, let us help! Come on in or give us a call (734-663-3354)—we’d love to help you figure out just the right gifts for everyone on your list.