Founder Joan Coukos fell in love with old world, handmade chocolates on a life-changing trip to Brussels. She brought two antique molds home with her to Manhattan and started creating chocolates in her kitchen. Eventually, Coukos began taking formal steps to become a chocolatier, leaving her banking career behind. She founded Chocolat Moderne in 2003 with a mission to create visually stunning, handcrafted confections filled with perfectly balanced, on-trend flavors that introduce new ingredients to chocolate-making. (We think she’s succeeded. We’ve been working with them for over 10 years now, and it’s been a sweet partnership indeed.)
Chocolat Moderne believes nothing is too beautiful to eat and interesting ingredients are the spice of life. That ethos comes through in every one of their chocolates, from the award-winning flavor combination of coconut, cardamom, and clove in the Kama Sutra drinking chocolate to the vibrant splashes of natural white and purple on the mezcal-laced Gunsmoke milk chocolate bar.
Whether you’re getting them as a gift to give or to enjoy yourself, every Chocolat Moderne product is sure to impress and delight—they’re always a treat for both your eyes and your tastebuds.
Dark Drinking Chocolates
Make at Home
Each one of Chocolat Moderne’s tins will make about 8 servings of rich, sipping chocolate. And they all taste great with the milk of your choice, whether you prefer traditional milk and cream or a non-dairy milk alternative. (Don’t forget the mood-boosting, bright orange ceramic Zingerman’s mug.)
Choose from 3 flavors:
- Madame ‘X’tasy A powerful blend of espresso, burnt caramel, and fleur de sel.
- Kama Sutra A blend of coconut, cardamom, and clove inspired by India, this lively combination won the Silver Award for Outstanding Hot Beverage. (The Specialty Food Association’s sofi™ Award is the most coveted award in the specialty food industry.)
- Mayan Eyes A smoldering blend of chipotle, ancho chile, cinnamon, and nutmeg—you’ll love the sweet heat!
Let Us Make You a Cup
We also use Chocolat Moderne’s drinking chocolates in a variety of drinks that we make at the Next Door Cafe. Try a Mayan Mocha Latte or a spicy Livin’ La Vida Mocha. Or treat yourself to a drinking chocolate, we make all three of the flavors that we carry in tins: Madame ‘X’tasy, Kama Sutra, and Mayan Eyes.
Beyond your average bar
Chocolat Moderne uses equitably and sustainably sourced chocolate couverture from Valrhona, one of the world’s most exclusive chocolate producers. They make their fillings with a variety of high quality ingredients and speckle the bars with natural colors—they never use any preservatives or artificial flavorings.
- Berries & Lavender This red and purple-speckled dark chocolate bar is filled with berry caramel—made with fresh strawberry and raspberry purée—and infused with lavender oil.
- Blood Orange Bergamot Filled with caramel made with fresh blood orange juice and scented with oil of bergamot, then speckled with natural white and orange color, this dark chocolate bar is a citrus-lover’s dream.
- Peanut Praline This milk chocolate bar is brightly speckled with natural orange and green colors and packed with nutty pizzaz—it’s filled with salted peanut and milk chocolate praliné blended with flecks of caramelized sugar.
- Gunsmoke A milk chocolate bar filled with mezcal-laced caramel and sea salt, then splashed with natural white and purple color.
- The Lover This white chocolate bar is filled with passion fruit caramel scented with cardamom and speckled with natural red and orange color.
- Spicy Hazelnut Gianduja This bar is made with Valrhona’s Dulcey chocolate, a “blond” white chocolate that gets its rich flavor and warm, butterscotch color from toasting the milk powder. It’s filled with dark chocolate hazelnut gianduja blended with sea salt, chipotle, ancho chili, and cinnamon, then speckled with dark chocolate and natural orange color.
One Blissful Bite
Chocolat Moderne also makes truffles that are just as vibrantly flavorful and colorful as their chocolate bars, they’re just smaller in stature. We carry a variety of truffles in our truffle case. Visit us in person or give us a call (734-663-3354) to choose your selection or let our chocolate specialist put together a unique selection for you. We also have seasonal favorites in gorgeous ribbon tied sleeves during certain times of the year (like Valentine’s Day!)
Truffle Gift Boxes
Choose your size, from a perfect pair to 2 dozen.