This simple fast recipe should be spicy. If you don’t like uncooked eggs, boil them in the vegetable ragout. This dish is easy to make for a large gathering. Just put the ragout in small bowls, break the egg on top and put in the oven for a few minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Épices de Cru
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Hungarian sweet chilli or ½ green pepper
- 2 Tbsp clarified butter or a mix of olive oil and butter
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Aleppo pepper or Spanish Paprika Flakes or 2 Tbsp Turkish hot pepper paste
- Salt to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper, ground
- 2 eggs
- 2 oz Turkish cheese (beyaz peynir) or Greek feta cheese
- Aleppo pepper to taste
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 Tbsp dried mint
- ¼ tsp salt
- Melt the clarified butter and stir fry onion and chili in a small casserole until they begin to color
- Add tomatoes, Aleppo pepper, salt and pepper
- Cook until the sauce thickens.
- Make two small hollows in the sauce and break an egg into each.
Cover and cook over low heat until eggs are poached (4 minutes).
- Garnish with cheese, Haydari and a few flakes of Aleppo pepper. Serve with bread.