Black curry is a typical blend in Sri Lankan cuisine. Select spices are lightly grilled and served with basmati rice and grated coconut. A very aromatic curry.
Recipe courtesy of Épices de Cru
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, cut in cubes
- 13½ oz coconut milk
- 3 pieces pre-soaked goraka or ¼ cup vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 2 fresh peppers, chopped
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 4 inches lemongrass
- 1 glass Scotch whisky
- salt & Reshampatti pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp black pepper
- 4 Tbsp Sri Lankan black curry
- 4 buds cardamom
- 12 curry leaves (optional)
- 3 inches pandan (optional)
- 4 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 large onions, sliced
- In a saucepan, place the pork with the goraka, garlic, shallots, ginger, chopped pepper, sugar, lemongrass, coconut milk, ground spices and a little salt. Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer 45 minutes. Add the Scotch.
- Meanwhile, in a pan heat the oil and add the curry leaves and the pandan. Let sizzle a few seconds. Add onions and cook for another 15 minutes, or until caramelized. Set aside.
- When meat is tender, add onion mixture. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice.