A delicious adventure awaits, no matter the dietary restriction
It’s important to us to help maximize eating enjoyment for every single one of our guests, no matter their dietary restrictions or preferences. It’s just an everyday part of our desire to give great service to every guest—no one should have to forgo access to great food due to dietary parameters!
Today, we’re excited to share the numerous gluten-free delights (many of them naturally so) available at the Deli for those with gluten sensitivities or intolerances, from sandwiches to pantry staples to baked goods and more.
Gluten-free guests don’t have to miss out on our legendary sandwiches. When you select your sandwich, scroll down to the “Bread Mods” section—you’ll notice an option to select gluten-free bread for $3. Don’t forget to choose your pickle! Both old (traditional, garlic-cured) and new (crunchy, cucumbery) pickles are gluten-free, too.
If you’d rather forgo the bread entirely and enjoy those substantial sandwich fillings as a salad, just give us a call and place your order over the phone (734-663-3354). If you tell us you have an allergy, our specially trained staff will review your order and our kitchen will take additional precautions against cross contact. Best to give us a call—we will be happy to assist you. (This is true for any food allergies or sensitivities!)
Deli Counter Delights
Our destination-worthy deli counter is a haven for meat and cheese lovers—both of which just so happen to be naturally gluten-free. The Deli’s meat and cheese mongers curate the Deli’s impressive and extensive inventory with full-flavored and traditionally-made items from cured hams and sandwich meats to washed rind cheese and Brie-style cheeses—and everything else in between. Whatever you’re in the mood for, we’re here to help you find something gouda!
Stand-Out Pantry Staples
Our grocery section has a number of outstanding options that, again, just so happen to be gluten-free. We’re highlighting a few of our favorites, but don’t hesitate to ask us about other items (olive oils, vinegars, mustards, and more!) you might be curious about.
- We carry over four dozen varieties! If you’re not sure where to start, try Ortiz bonito tuna—since tuna is one of the most familiar tinned fishes, this is a good one to test the waters and see that you really can taste the difference.
Snacks & Crackers
- Cherry Cacao Granola A not-too-sweet treat featuring Askinosie cacao nibs, Michigan cherries and locally-grown teff from Teffola
- Olive Oil + Sea Salt Crackers A satisfying, crunchy cracker that we like pairing with any hard or soft cheese.
- Charcoal Crackers These colorful and delicious crackers are made across the pond in England and make a striking addition to any cheese board.
- Nuts We couldn’t narrow it down to one option, we’re nuts about our whole lineup! Try rich and meaty, oil-roasted Marcona almonds (sea salt, lemon pepper, or spicy) from Spain or maybe baby pistachio kernels, wild grown in Afganistan. (Psst—be on the lookout during the holiday season for our housemade spiced pecans!)
We have found some of the best gluten free pastas made in Italy.
- Caponi Maybe the best gluten-free pasta we’ve ever tasted. Made from a combination of corn and rice, this classic big-tube maccheroni is phenomenal for cheese sauces, red sauces, and baked pasta dishes.
- Dalla Costa One of our favorite pasta makers. We love that they take pride in their ability to meet the demands of the consumer with products like their line of 100% vegetable and gluten-free pastas–ideal for those looking for vegetable proteins and more fiber in their diet.
- Rustichella Buckwheat Tortiglioni Third generation pasta maker Gianluigi Peduzzi developed a new innovative way to make gluten-free pasta with perfect al dente texture, so you can be sure that these deep umber-colored tubes have an exquisite, toothsome bite (along with a subtle earthy, nutty buckwheat flavor).
Foregoing gluten doesn’t mean giving up treats! We have a sweet selection of candies and baked goods that are sure to satisfy.
- Kolsvarrt swedish fish Not the bright red gummies you might be used to from trick-or-treating days, these are true Swedish fish from Malmö, Sweden! Every bag of these all-natural, vegan, gluten-free gummy candies is designed to represent a specific fish from the waters around Sweden, and a portion of every purchase is donated to support the natural habitats of Sweden’s fish populations. Available in Licorice, Sour Blueberry, Sour Raspberry, Elderflower, and Blackcurrant & Raspberry.
- YumEarth Offering a variety of types of candy from gummy candy to lollipops, YumEarth is committed to allergy-free products and makes candy that’s free from the top 8 allergens (including wheat), artificial dyes, and GMOs.
Baked Goods from Zingerman’s Bakehouse
Our partner business is just as passionate as we are about making sure that gluten-free folks have delicious things to eat. They are very conscious of allergens and cross-contamination, but the Bakehouse does use wheat flour in other products, so if your wheat or gluten intolerance is severe, they suggest consulting with your personal physician before consuming their products.
- Townie Brownie Who needs wheat flour to make a delicious brownie? The Townie Brownie, is dense, moist, and as unique as the Ann Arbor natives it’s named after. Made from ancient grains commonly used in South America—amaranth and quinoa—it’s packed with protein and spiked with chocolate chunks.
- Townie Cake Just like the Townie Brownie, this cake has none of the wheat, but all of the chocolate, because everyone deserves a slice of cake. The townie cake is made with quinoa and amaranth flours, dark cocoa, and Valrhona Satilla chocolate chunks. The layers are paired with our rich vanilla Swiss buttercream. Please enjoy at room temperature for ideal texture and maximum flavor!
- Seasonal Treats At different times of the year, Zingerman’s Bakehouse makes additional treats that just so happen to be gluten-free. Ask us if there are any currently available!
- Pignoli Traditionally, pignolis are Sicilian holiday cookies made with almond paste and pine nuts. The Bakehouse version keeps the pine nuts, replaces the almond paste with almond flour, and adds hazelnuts—the most flavorful they could find. They’re barely sweetened with a little cane sugar and honey; the only thing holding that collection of ingredients together is egg whites!
- Macaroons These coconut macaroons are slightly crunchy on the outside and creamy on the inside with rich flavors of vanilla bean or chocolate.
- Pavlova A light, luscious, cloud-like dessert with a vanilla meringue base that’s crisp on the outside and soft and smooth on the inside. It’s covered with a thick layer of unsweetened whipped cream (there’s plenty of sugar in the meringue for the entire dessert) and generously decorated with colorful seasonal fruit.
We hope these ideas steer you to a delicious gluten-free experience with us at Zingerman’s Deli! If you have any questions about gluten-free options, or any other dietary restrictions, please let us know and we’ll be happy to be your guides for a flavor-full (but allergen-free) dining experience.