Prosciutto Pasta Carbonara Recipe
- 1 6-ounce piece Prosciutto di Parma, 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper––we recommend Épices de Cru
- 1 pound of your favorite pasta––spaghetti, bucatini, rigatoni or penne
- Cut prosciutto into a 1/4-inch dice. In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook in oil stirring frequently, until browned; about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, both cheeses and pepper; set aside. In a large pot over high heat, bring a pot of salted water to boil. Add pasta; cook until al dente. Drain and immediately toss hot pasta with the egg mixture. Add Prosciutto di Parma and pan drippings.
- Top with additional grated cheese and fresh black pepper, if desired.
Note: If the heat of the cooked pasta does not quite set the eggs you can gently toss it again over very low heat in the pan you cooked the prosciutto in. Stir continuously and make sure the heat is as low as it can go so you don’t wind up with scrambles eggs.