These East Coast Cheese Biscuits are the perfect side to any fish or seafood dish. This simple recipe is made simpler by using melted butter that is mixed into cold buttermilk, skipping the pastry cutter. Feel free to vary the cheese, keeping in mind East Coast Seafood Blend has a sweet side.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¾ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp East Coast Seafood Blend, ground
- 1 cup buttermilk, chilled
- 8 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled, plus 2 Tbsp melted for brushing
- 1½ cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add cold buttermilk to another bowl. Pour in melted and cooled butter, stirring, until the butter congeals into small pieces.
- Pour butter mixture into dry ingredients and mix gently until liquid is just incorporated.
- Add cheese and fold gently into the biscuits, being sure not to over-knead the dough.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using an ice cream scoop or two spoons, scoop balls of dough, 1 to 1 ½ inches in diameter, onto the baking sheet, placing them at least 1 ½ inches apart. You should have 12 biscuits.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until just golden. Remove from oven, brush with butter, and serve.