Spice combinations such as the ones used in 1,001 Nights spice blend are traditionally used for meat dishes. Carrots and green peas, however, lend themselves well to sweet and sour flavors. The acidity of the sumac in this blend complements the sweetness of the vegetables.
Recipe courtesy of Épices de Cru
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, cut in sticks
- 2 tsp 1,001 Nights spice blend, ground
- 2 Tbsp sugar or honey
- ½ cup water
- salt to taste
- Melt butter in a pan on medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, salt, spices and honey. Mix well. Add water and cook covered for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove cover and mix well.
- Add peas when carrots are almost dry and begin to glaze. Mix well. Cover again and lower heat.
- Cook for another 5 minutes and serve.