This is the perfect salad which allows us to take full advantage of the first spring vegetable harvest. We prefer not to mix the ingredients before serving – one of the charms of this recipe is the contrasting tastes and textures of the various ingredients. Serve accompanied by a chilled glass of white wine and fresh bread!
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 pack asparagus
- 4 radishes sliced
- 1 cup fiddleheads, blanched ***
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 2 eggs (optional)
- Olive Oil
- Vinegar of choice or lemon juice
- Balinese Fleur de sel
- Black Pepper, freshly ground
- Wash and drain spinach. Place on a large serving dish.
- Break off the tough sections of asparagus. Slice raw asparagus into ½ inch thick pieces at an angle.
- Poach the eggs for 7 min in a large pot of water that is almost at the boiling point.
- Place asparagus, radishes, fiddleheads, eggs and chives on the spinach leaves.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with olive oil and then with vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve without mixing.
*** Wash the fiddleheads in a large basin of water. Cut off the brown tips. Boil in a large pot of salted water for 6-7 min. Rinse well in cold water. Drain.
Recipe adapted from Épices de Cru