We’re introducing you to our passionate team of experts. Today’s featured Deli crew member is Cindy McGlynn, Front of House Service Star
Cindy McGlynn originally hails from Petoskey, then moved to Sterling Heights during middle school. She’s lived all over the metro Detroit area before settling in Ypsi in 2015. Cindy has worked in the food business since the tender age of 16 and has worked in nearly every department — grocery, deli, produce, floral, you name it! She was previously a bulk buyer specialist at Whole Foods Detroit.
Cindy’s Path to the Deli
Cindy joined us at the Deli in May of 2022, following time at our partner businesses Zingerman’s Cornman Farms, Zingerman’s Creamery and Zingerman’s Mail Order. We’re so happy she has found a home with us here! Her favorite part of her job at the Deli is talking to guests and learning more about how they heard of us or why they came in for a visit. She’s super excited about upcoming classes offered by our events team and loves suggesting learning opportunities for guests and fellow team members. “I love and appreciate how Zingerman’s takes care of its guests and team members through community outreach, the EAP [our free employee access to mental health care] and other benefits, as well as the way they run the company with open book management and all team member input,” she says. “It’s a huge part of why I’ve come back over the years.” She’s also inspired by Zingerman’s movement towards self-ownership over the last few years.
A Renaissance Woman
When Cindy isn’t at the Deli, she dedicates her time to Renaissance festivals! She co-owns a booth that is a staple at the Michigan Renaissance Festival in Hollygrove, MI. At smaller festivals, she co-owns and operates a woodworking business with her spouse. She and her spouse have also taught panels at local sci-fi and open source conventions related to woodworking and building home shops.
5 Fun Facts
- One of Cindy’s past jobs was traveling the country selling kilts.
- She has a toddler at home, so her pantry is filled with kids snacks!
- Her favorite food memories are baking holiday cookies with her mom, or making chocolate covered peanut butter balls.
- Her favorite choice of dessert at the Deli is the Creamery’s gelato and will always recommend it to curious guests. Cindy’s favorites are salted caramel chocolate chunk and pumpkin (when in season).
- If Cindy had a sandwich on the menu it would be: grilled chicken breast, crispy onions, BBQ sauce, lettuce, and tomato. Yum!