- 4 oz bag of Earthy Delight dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 TB Big Tree Farm palm sugar
- 2 TB Blue Grass soy sauce
- 1 TB Sanchez Romate sherry vinegar
- 2 TB Grape seed oil (or a different heat tolerant oil – though bacon fat would be delicious…)
- ½ tsp Grated Ginger
- 1. Steep the shiitake in boiling water in a medium mixing bowl until softened, about 15 minutes.
- 2. Lift the shiitakes from the steeping water, trim off and discard their stems, and cut the caps into 1/8-inch-thick slices. Reserve ½ cup of the steeping liquid and set aside.
- 3. Heat the oil over medium high in a saucepan or a wok. Add the sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and sliced shiitakes to the saucepan. Turn the heat to medium, bring to a simmer, and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender, adding a tablespoon at a time of the reserved steeping liquid if the mushrooms begin to stick.
- 4. Serve hot as an accompaniment to steamed buns, or jasmine rice with steamed bok choy with sesame seeds and a fried egg on top! (Katie’s favorite way to eat most things is with a fried egg on top.)