- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Carrot, chopped
- 1/2 cup Celery, finely chopped
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 pound Lentils, picked and rinsed
- 1 cup Tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 quarts Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Toasted Cumin
- 1 tsp Freshly Ground Grains of Paradise
- Freshly Chopped Parsley to Garnish
- Juice of half a Lemon
- Place the olive oil into a large 6-quart Dutch oven and set over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, carrot, celery and salt and sweat until the onions are translucent, approximately 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes, broth, coriander, cumin and grains of paradise and stir to combine. Increase the heat to high and bring just to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook at a low simmer until the lentils are tender, approximately 35 to 40 minutes.
- Add lemon juice. Using a stick blender, puree to your preferred consistency (optional). Sprinkle with parsley, serve immediately with lemon wedges and a hearty bread.