Chocolates & Sweets at Next Door Café
Products We're Featuring
Emily’s Summertime Sweets
Summertime is here! Our Next Door Chocolate Corner is rejuvenated with sublime sweets and worldly confections and chocolates. Visit us to get a taste of our latest offerings from near and far. Emily’s got a few suggestions to bring your dessert dreams to life at home with goodies from Zingerman’s Next Door Chocolate Corner for making killer sundaes and the perfect pairings.
Grab a pint of gelato and a few ingredients and you will have all you need to create out-of-this-world sundaes at home.
A fantastic sundae might just start with the perfect rich sauce. From gooey caramel to thick chocolate sauce, we have a few decadent suggestions.
- Coop’s Microcreamery, Hot fudge that’s milky and chocolatey, with just the right amount of sweetness.
- Halen Mon Salted Caramel Drizzle this salted caramel throughout your sundae and you will find this hundreds of delicate sea salt crystals mingling on your tongue.
- Chocolate Moderne, Caramel Sauces Choose from: Passion Fruit, Espresso Chocolate and Blood Orange.
If you love adding a bit of sweet crunch to your sundae, our shelves are filled with options.
- Bellstone, Toffee The addictive, buttery Michigan-made toffee with the perfect texture.
- Zingerman’s Candy Manufactory Peanut Brittle and Chocolate Covered Peanut Brittle The go-to sweet, salty and crunchy topping you can’t beat!
- Zingerman’s Candy Manufactory Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans Zing up your sundae with our house roasted Espresso Blend #1 coffee beans coated with layers of rich chocolate.
The chocolate bars found on our shelves are certainly something to be savored all on their own, but I think pairing a few special chocolate shavings, would propel a simple bowl of ice cream to a world-class dessert.
- Stone-ground Chocolate Shavings Try Taza Chocolate’s Cinnamon for an excellent Mexican-inspired dessert or add a little salty punch with the Antica Dolceria Bonajuto’s Sea Salt Bar.
- Maple Bacon Sundae Sprinkle Vosges Chocolate Bacon bars which feature alderwood smoked salt and hickory smoked bacon crumbles to create the ultimate sweet and savory pairing. Finish it with a generous amount of warm Dark Horse maple syrup.
- Askinosie Chocolate’s Licorice Bar combined with Swedish licorice, anise seeds, goats milk powder and a touch of sea salt) will give your sundae additional unique flavor and texture.
Summertime Chocolate & Confections For Pairing
Whether you are arranging a plate for your next summertime gathering, making summery desserts or firing up the grill, here is a list of some of our favorite summer sweets for pairing.
Confections for your Dessert Tray
- French Honey Nougat Dreamy and cloud-like almond and pistachio nougat with a hint of lavender, traditionally made and cooked in copper kettles. Its complex honey-sweetness and roasted nuts is fantastic with your favorite fruit. We are particularly fond of this nougat paired with blueberries and cantaloupe.
- Charles Chocolate’s Nuts Make a sophisticated twist on trail mix. Choose from buttery hazelnuts, toasted almonds, or toffee-coated macadamias dipped in chocolate and dusted with cocoa perfectly accompany fresh fruits from the summer harvest or your preferred dried fruits.
- Agrimontana, Fruit Jellies These individually wrapped fruit gems from the foothills of the Maritime Alps taste like summer-time. We love their brightness of flavor, the touch of resistance when you bite into them, and their restrained sweetness. Pair with our Butter Toffee Peanuts for a special treat.
From stone-ground and rustic chocolate, to smooth and creamy, we have an assortment of chocolates for accompanying the Michigan fruit harvest. Three of our go-tos this season:
- Marou Faiseurs de Chocolat, Tien Giang, 80% is one of the of the darkest bars on our shelves. The chocolate features intense notes of green tea, smoke, delicate hints of cinnamon and a touch of acidity, which makes it well suited for sweeter wines and fruits.
- Patric Chocolate Madagascar with its intense red raspberry and light citrus notes, lends itself to be paired with IPAs, wines, as well as nuts, and various berries and grapes.
- Antica Dolceria Bonajuto Muscovado Bar is grainy, cold-milled dark chocolate made with techniques dating back to the 16th century and uses only two ingredients: cocoa and sugar. Its a bar that is easy to pair and I imagine it accompanying a myriad of different cheeses, stone fruits, berries, and more. Shake it up with their cinnamon or salted bars.
Upgrade your s’mores experience with a few of our favorites.
- Classic s’more: Michel Cluizel’s 45% Lait Bar is creamy, well balanced, not overly sweet and waiting to be paired with marshmallows. For a darker version Michel Cluizel’s 72% Noir’s silky-smooth texture with notes of espresso, will melt perfectly between your graham crackers.
- Design an artisan s’more with Askinosie Chocolate, 62% Dark Milk Bar, the creamy goat milk is balanced with notes of vanilla, caramel sweetness, and finished with a sprinkling of sea salt.
- Give your s’more the Zingerman’s touch with Vosges Chocolate Bacon Bar. It features alderwood smoked salt and hickory smoked bacon crumbles to create the ultimate sweet and savory s’more.
The savory side of chocolate
- Unsweetened Cocoa Nibs have a roasted nut-like flavor and are much more versatile than many realize – So if you are firing up the grill, grind cocoa nibs with spices to blend into an excellent meat rub. In addition, nibs are great for adding texture and flavor to summery desserts, and a crunchy addition to fruit salads & green salad.
- Mexican Chocolate is usually thought of for making into drinking chocolate, but this minimally refined, stone-ground chocolate, which has been blended with cinnamon and almonds, is perfect for incorporating into Mole Sauce. If you prefer an unsweetened chocolate without the cinnamon & almonds for your recipe I recommend Mindo Chocolate Disks or Cocoa Powder.
Yours in Chocolate,