Chettinad Curry Falafel Recipe
From our friends at Épices de Cru!
Falafel with a South Indian curry blend twist!
- 1 lb dried chickpeas
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp Chettinad curry
- 1 Tbsp dried garlic
- 1 heaping Tbsp flour
- Oil for frying
- Rinse chickpeas and place in a large container. Cover generously with water (keeping in mind that they’ll double in volume). Let rest overnight.
- The next day, drain and rinse the chickpeas. Drain in a colander.
- Place onion, fresh garlic, parsley, salt, ground curry and dried garlic in a food processor. Grind for 2 minutes.
- Add chickpeas and flour and reduce to a rough purée. You may need to stop and stir the mixture with a spoon from time to time.
- Transfer to a bowl and chill for 1-2 hours.
- Pour 2 inches of oil into a pot and heat to 350° F.
- Form falafel batter into flattened balls 1 ½ inches in diameter and fry a dozen at a time. Stir them once or twice during cooking, which should take 4-5 minutes each batch. Place on a paper towel and repeat until all the falafel are cooked.