Slow Cooker Pepper Cardamom Chicken
One of our favorite slow cooker chicken recipes. If you buy cilantro with roots attached, don’t throw them out. Wash them thoroughly and add them to the slow cooker, it’ll add flavor to the dish.
Recipe courtesy of Épices de Cru
- 3 lbs chicken legs
- 3 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 Tbsp Tellicherry #10 black pepper
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp coriander
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Wash chicken legs under running water. Remove skin and separate thighs from drumsticks.
- Chop onions, garlic, and ginger into large pieces. Place in the slow cooker.
- Crack spices and add to the slow cooker with the chicken, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and salt.
- Wash cilantro well. Set some aside for garnish later. Chop the rest and add to the pot with ¼ cup water.
- Stir and cook on low until the meat is tender, around 6 hours. Serve garnished with cilantro.