Literally next door to the Deli. It’s not just a stop for world-class coffees — it’s a fun place to relax, study, learn, eat and drink. Next Door is home to coffee, tea, chocolate, pastries, scones, cakes, pies, gelato, grab-and-go sandwiches and the friendly knowledgeable service you’ve come to expect from Zingerman’s.
||Zingerman’s Coffee Co Roaster’s Pick:
Kenya Othaya Cooperative
Roast Profile: Medium
Cupping Characteristics: Silky body, bursting with flavors of black currant, raisin, and white grape.
We are really excited to share this coffee from Kenya’s Othaya Farmers Cooperative Society. The co-op’s farmer-members are based in the highlands of central Kenya, about 75 miles north of the capital, Nairobi. Most members grow relatively small plots of coffee — a half acre on average — and shade their crops with bananas, grevillea and macadamia trees.
The lot we chose was processed at the Gichichi Wet Mill located in the village of Gichichi. Water for the mill comes from the Chinga River, which originates in the Aberdare Mountain Range. We think this lot embodies some of the best characteristics Kenyan coffees have to offer: complexity, crispness, rich sweetness, and a black currant fruit note that is a hallmark of the region.
||Next Door Drink of the Month: Malt
Zingerman’s Creamery Gelato, natural Calder Dairy milk and malt. Topped with real whipped cream. Available in chocolate or vanilla. Or try the staff favorite: half chocolate & half vanilla.
||Zingerman’s Bakehouse Cake of the Month:
Hunka Burnin’ Love Chocolate Cake 20% off
Chocolate on chocolate on chocolate.
Anyone within a hundred-mile radius of Ann Arbor knows about this cake. It’s perpetually near the top of our pastry popularity list because of the one thing it does right in multiples: chocolate. This cake is chocolate from top to bottom, all around and in between. There’s not a spot of light on it, it’s black brown everywhere: dense buttermilk chocolate cake layered inside and covered in luscious chocolate buttercream frosting.
The frosting is the showpiece. Traditional Swiss style buttercream: it’s made by whipping fresh eggs and sugar into a meringue then mixing in real Wisconsin butter and Madagascar vanilla. Our cakes are also marked by what they don’t contain: no artificial anything, no mixes, no shortening.
||Emily’s Mother’s Day Gift Guide
Salty Road, Salt Water Taffy
This fresh spin on a classic sweet comes to us from Brooklyn, New York, where the self-taught candy maker Marissa Wu crafts each batch of ice creamy taffy by hand. Large crunchy sea salt flakes mingle with the soft and airy taffy infused with herbs and natural botanical extracts. Our selections includes Bergamot, Peppermint and Vanilla.
Charles Chocolate’s Toffee Macadamia Nuts
5 Bunny Collection
If mom is an enthusiast of pairing chocolate and nuts together then look no further than these triple-dipped macadamia nuts. Fresh and full flavored macadamias are given a dark roast then coated in crunchy butter toffee, dipped in rich milk chocolate and finished with a dusting of cocoa powder.
Fran’s Almond Gold Bar
These bars might just be worth their weight in gold. Known for her award-winning salted caramels, Fran Bigelow combines her soft caramel with roasted buttery almonds and encases it in dark chocolate.
Bell Stone Toffee
Butter up mom with an indulgent Michigan made classic with simple ingredients (chocolate, pecans, butter and sugar!) mixed to create a sublime texture. With its addictive balance of salty and sweet, mom might need another bag.
Chocolat Moderne Toffee Bars
Joan Coukos of Chocolat Moderne elevates dark and milk chocolate bars with the addition of buttery toffee shavings and spices. The combination of textures and flavors is hard to beat and sure to please.
A special Assortment of Chocolates Just For Mom
Surprise mom with a customized box of unique truffles, bon bons and caramels selected from our diverse offerings from near and far and from traditional to wild. You’ll find Next Door staff ready to help you craft a delightful box of treats just for Mom.
A few seasonal highlights:
- Chocolate in Chelsea’s Pillow of gold (Palet D’or ) Treat your mom like gold with this divine creation made by Cathy Selin. Beneath a design of edible gold you will find a pocket filled with velvety 70% dark chocolate ganache.
- Sweet Gem’s Chocolate Dipped Pate de Fruit Chewy, juicy candies with an undeniably intense flavor made from seasonal fruit purees then dipped in dark chocolate. For pure fruit flavor I suggest Sweet Gem’s Pate de Fruit six-piece Collection.
- Chocolate Moderne’s Champagne Chic What makes a better gift than champagne and chocolate? A double layer blend of milk and dark chocolate ganaches drunk on champagne and cognac.
- Grocer’s Daughter’s Herbal Truffles Jody Haden features bouquet of garden fresh herbs delicately infused in 75% dark chocolate ganache and dipped in dark chocolate. A range of flavors including Basil, Orange Thyme, and Blueberry Lavender.
- Chocolate Dipped Strawberries* Plump ripe strawberries hand-dipped right here at the Deli in Michel Cluizel chocolate from France and adorned with either white chocolate, toasted coconut or slivered almonds. Only Available 5/8 – 5/10. *Pre-order chocolate dipped strawberries in the Next Door or call 734-663-3354. These special seasonal treats are only available for a limited time. Available for pick-up 5/8 -5/10.