- 6 Eggs
- 3/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 2 Star Anise
- 2 Tablespoons Black Tea (We Used Pu-Erh)
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Comet Tail Or Sichuan Peppercorn (Optional)
- 2 Strips Dried Tangerine Or Mandarin Orange Peel (Optional)
- 1. Gently place the eggs in a medium pot and fill with water to cover the eggs by 1-inch. Bring the pot to a boil, lower the heat and let simmer for 3 minutes. Remove the eggs (leaving the water in the pot) and let cool under running cool water. Peel the egg shells.
- 2. To the same pot with the boiling water, return the eggs and add in the remaining ingredients. Bring the mixture to a boil and immediately turn the heat to low. Simmer for 40 minutes, cover with lid and let eggs steep for a few hours. The longer you steep, the more flavorful and deeply colored the tea eggs will be.